About the Program
Significant advances in electrical energy storage could revolutionize the energy landscape. For example, widespread adoption of electric vehicles could greatly reduce dependence on finite petroleum resources, reduce carbon dioxide emissions and provide new scenarios for grid operation. Although new electric vehicles with advanced lithium ion batteries have been introduced, further breakthroughs in scalable energy storage, beyond current state-of-the-art lithium ion batteries, are necessary before the full benefits of vehicle electrification can be realized.
Motivated by these societal needs and by the tremendous potential for materials science and engineering to provide necessary advances, a consortium comprising IBM Research and five U.S. Department of Energy National Laboratories (National Renewable, Argonne, Lawrence Berkeley, Pacific Northwest, and Oak Ridge) will host a symposium June 2-4, 2015, at Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
This is a unique forum focused on the future of energy storage technologies for transportation and grid applications. The main themes of the symposium are (i) reviewing groundbreaking technical progress, (ii) exploring future directions and (iii) understanding critical challenges impeding progress. At the symposium, leading researchers and manufacturers will discuss critically necessary materials, diagnostics, scaling and manufacturing issues associated with better performing energy storage devices in an open-format dialogue. Through this discussion, the organizers aim to accelerate innovation, reduce costs, and improve the safety of advanced, electrochemical energy storage concepts and systems “beyond lithium ion.”
If you are media and plan on attending, please use the contact us page to inform us of your attendance.
Information on the previous symposiums can be found at the following:
- BLI-I: Scalable Energy Storage: Beyond
Lithium Ion, held August 26-27, 2009, at IBM’s Almaden Research Center,
San Jose, CA
- BLI-II: Research Opportunities in
Electrochemical Energy Storage Beyond Lithium Ion: Computational
Perspectives, held May 3-4, 2010, at Argonne National Laboratory,
- BLI-III: Scalable Energy Storage Beyond
Li-Ion: Materials Perspectives, held October 7-8, 2010, at Oak Ridge
National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN
- BLI-IV: 4th Symposium on Energy Storage:
Beyond Lithium Ion, held June 7-9, 2011, at Battelle Auditorium,
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA
- BLI-V: Beyond Lithium Ion V-Symposium on
Energy Storage, held June 5-7, 2012, at the Claremont Hotel, Lawrence
Berkeley National Laboratory
- BLI-VI Beyond Lithium Ion VI-Symposium on Energy Storage held June 4-6, 2013, at University Memorial Center, University of Colorado at Boulder
- BLI-VII Beyond Lithium Ion VI-Symposium on Energy Storage held June 3-5, 2015, at APS Conference Center, Argonne National Laboratory
POSTER SUBMISSIONSSubmit an abstract to be considered to present a poster. Session presenters are chosen by invitation only.
- Abstract must be less than 3300 characters (including
- Abstract must contain affiliations for all authors
- No graphics or figures represented
- Vertical length of posters should be no greater than 43”
- Horizontal width of posters should be no greater than 44”
- All posters will be displayed on poster boards (freestanding display boards will hold two posters on each side).
At the Meeting:
We encourage you to put up your poster on the afternoon of your poster session. Boards will be set up and assigned in advance. You must be available during the official time of your poster session to answer questions about your poster. Please remove your poster after the poster session. Unclaimed posters will be disposed of.
Posters may be mailed to:
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
One Bethel Valley Road
Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6164
ATTN: add your name and for Beyond Lithium Ion VIII
We will not be responsible for returning them by mail.