CUMULVS and POET
Accelerating the Process of Scientific Discovery
Through Cooperation and Collaboration
Collaborative Viewing and Steering of a
Distributed Combustion Computation across Multiple DOE Labs.
At SC'97 conference
we plan to show several real-life applications running
across multiprocessor clusters at Sandia NM, Oak Ridge, and Sandia CA.
The following applications have CUMULVS integrated into them.
- Fluid dynamics flow over a wing
- Smooth particle hydrodynamics (SPH)
- Material impact and deformation (CTH)
- Combustion of methane flame
Demonstrates the utilization of experts and high performance
computing resources distributed across the DOE system in order
to accelerate the process of scientific discovery.
Temperature and Density profiles early in methane combustion simulation.
Parallel Object-oriented Environment and Toolkit (POET)
provides a means to quickly develop parallel applications through
sharing and reusing distributed numerical software.
POET (and PUMA another tool from ACTS
being demonstrated at the workshop)
decrease the time it takes to develop applications.
CUMULVS' purpose is to decrease the the time in takes to
make a scientific discovery once an application is running.
CUMULVS provides a collaborative infrastructure to view and steer
large distributed applications.
Why is Computational Steering Important?
- Allows "What If?" computational science.
- What happens to burn efficiency if I tweek this?
- What is effect on pollutants if I change this?
- What is the effect of changing inlet jet like this?
- Allows scientists to drive simulations towards interesting solutions.
- simulations become a tool for "active" discovery.
- Closes loop on the simulate--revise--simulate cycle.
- Enhances convergence of numerical algorithms.
- Avoids wasting computer resources on uninteresting
or incorrect experiments.
CUMULVS Provides Collaborative Computational Steering
Large scale applications such as the combustion simulation were
developed by a multi-disciplinary team of experts in thermodynamics,
turbulent flows, chemical reactions, computer science, etc..
CUMULVS allows this same group of experts to participate in
the process of scientific discovery while the simulation is running.
The process can be compared to a
Single person vs. Brainstorming session of active discovery.
We are in an age of cooperation and collaboration in order to advance science.
CUMULVS and POET are tools to help in this effort.