Event notification extensions to Web100
As originally distributed, web100 did not support an event notifciation
One would have to walk the web100 connection tree looking for new or
This polling mode was OK for our end-of-connection web100 logging daemon (
since web100 data was retained for 60 seconds.
For our tuning daemon, WAD,
we desired "immediate" notification when
a new connection had been established.
We used the Linux netlink facility to provide event notification through
the RAW socket netlink interface.
Here are the various patch files and simple test program for the Linux 2.4.16
Web100 release (2/20/02)
The message structure and message types all need to be cleaned up
for a full release in the Web100 distribution ... in progress.
Web100 now (4/5/02) includes event notification as a "Net100 extension"
(must be enabled).
- you need to configure the kernel network options to support
the NETLINK device and NETLINK
- You need to patch netlink.h in both /usr/src/linux/include/linux
and /usr/include/linux with this patch file
- web100 version /usr/src/linux/net/ipv4 tcp.c patch
- /usr/src/linux/net/ipv4 web100_stats.c patch
- example (need to root) program, netlinkraw.c
- a deprecated test program that would use /dev/web100 (assuming
you have done mknod /dev/web100 c 36 10), netlink.c
Last Modified Monday, 19-Aug-2002 08:24:36 EDT
(touches: 202785 )
back to Tom Dunigan's page
or the net100 page.