The Future Technologies group in the Computer Science and Mathematics Division (CSMD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) performs basic research in core technologies for future generations of high-end computing architectures, including experimental computing systems. Using measurement, modeling, and simulation, we investigate these technologies with the goal of improving the performance, efficiency, reliability, and usability of these architectures for our sponsors. Often, we develop new algorithms and software systems to effectively exploit each technology.
Since 2004 we have worked in a wide range of areas, including:
- Emerging architectures including GPUs, FPGAs, nonvolatile memory, and other alternative architectures
- Productive programming environments including compilers, GAS programming models, and scalable runtime systems
- Performance analysis, modeling, simulation, and prediction
- Application-Architecture codesign
- Early evaluation and benchmarking of High Performance Computing systems
- Visualization of extreme scale data
- Parallel I/O
- Our team manages the Experimental Computing Lab (ExCL), which hosts many of the emerging technologies that we are examining.
- We host the Future Technologies Colloquium Series to stimulate discussion and collaboration on these topics.
- If you are planning a visit to our group, we have collected some helpful information at our Visiting the Future Technologies Group page.
Group Secretary: Elizabeth Hebert
Plant Mail/Location: Building 5100, MS-6173
Postal Mail: ORNL, P. O. Box 2008, Bldg. 5100,
Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6173
Our research group, led by Dr. Jeffrey S. Vetter, was created in 2004 as part of the Mathematics and Computer Science Division of the Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Our offices are in building 5100 (also known as the NICS building), rooms 227-247.
- Megan Grodowitz
- Elizabeth Hebert (Group Administrative Assistant)
- Mitch Horton (Georgia Tech)
- Jungwon Kim
- Seyong Lee
- Dong Li
- Graham Lopez (Georgia Tech)
- Jeremy Meredith
- Sparsh Mittal
- Philip Roth
- Sarat Sreepathi
- Patrick Worley
- Jeffrey Vetter (Group Leader, joint with Georgia Institute of Technology)
- Jeffrey Young (Georgia Tech)
- Hsiang-Yun Cheng, Penn State University
- Keisuke Fukuda, Tokyo Institute of Technology
- Tetsuya Hoshino, Tokyo Institute of Technology
- Matthew Larsen, University of Oregon
- Robert Lim, University of Oregon
- Matt Poremba, Penn State University
If you are interested in visiting us as an intern, or visiting scholar, please contact us!